top of page
771655737_1480717154085378_9026678243612244413_n.jpg

HISTORY

767518463_1480717174085376_788792790476307082_n (1).jpg

Calvary Episcopal Church was founded on December 24th, 1860 by members of the Sehon Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. The cornerstone of the original octagonal structure was laid in 1872. Completion of the rest of the church, resulting in a variation of a classic Latin cross plan, began in 1888 and was concluded with electrification and gas heat in 1892.

 

Calvary is in the Victorian Gothic Revival style with limestone exterior. The South Tower was the only cut-stone spire in the US until 1943. The North Tower is crowned with a bishop’s crook (crozier), although Calvary did not become a bishop’s seat.

 

The church has a wealth of stained-glass windows and woodwork, some of which hail from Tiffany Studios. Other aspects represent a variety of periods and styles. The ceiling of Norwegian spruce is patterned after the 14th century hammerbeam roof of Westminter Hall in London.

 

Calvary has had many additions and alterations since its construction, including installation of a magnificent Casavant organ with exposed pipes in 1965, and Victorian-period Stations of the Cross in 2012.

Calvary offers a self-guided walking tour of notable art and artifacts
Find the brochure in the back of the Nave.

Screenshot_15-8-2026_9459_www.canva.com.jpeg

*indicates year given to Calvary

Calvary Episcopal Church |  821 South Fourth Street   Louisville, KY 40203  502-587-6011

visit the diocese of Kentucky
visit the international Angican Communion
bottom of page